Monday, June 25, 2012

 

Jimmy Carter took the words right out of my mouth!

I simply cannot comprehend a certain conservative-thinking acquaintance who once told me that former President Jimmy Carter is ashamed to be an American. I responded that contrary to him, I believe Carter embodies what is outstanding about the United States. This opinion piece is a perfect example of what I'm talking about:
At a time when popular revolutions are sweeping the globe, the United States should be strengthening, not weakening, basic rules of law and principles of justice enumerated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. But instead of making the world safer, America’s violation of international human rights abets our enemies and alienates our friends. As concerned citizens, we must persuade Washington to reverse course and regain moral leadership according to international human rights norms that we had officially adopted as our own and cherished throughout the years.
Please go read the whole thing!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?